Daniel Cooper's 1856 Foundation Stone Box, Peter Lane
In 1856, Governor Denison laid the foundation stone for Daniel Cooper's Woollahra House at Point Piper. The stone was designed to hold an engraved copper box containing coins and a medal. This box was re-used for the foundation ceremony of a later Woollahra House in 1883, and unearthed when it was demolished in 1929, together with another box used at the 1816 foundation ceremony for Captain Piper's Henrietta Villa. Peter Lane unravels the history.